All members who are working to achieve Membership (MACLM) or Fellowship (FACLM) must pass the College Examination.
The College Examination is an open book, 24 hour exam which is emailed to you at an agreed date and time. You must then complete it and return it via email within the 24 hour time frame. As such, answers are expected to be researched, referenced and of a high standard.
Answers must be the Candidate’s own work. Plagiarism checking software will be used to verify that answers are not plagiarised.
There are two streams of examination - Legal or Forensic Stream. The exam which you will be offered will be the one most relevant to your qualifications and expertise. You cannot sit both exams - only one is necessary to achieve Membership/Fellowship.
Sample Questions (in the relevant Stream) and more detailed exam instructions are sent to the applicant in the lead up to them sitting the exam, to assist in preparing for the exam.
Recommended reading to prepare for the exam is:
- Health Law in Australia 2nd edition, Ben White, Fiona McDonald, Lindy Willmott; LBC 2014
- Australian Medical Liability 2nd edition, Bill Madden, Janine McIlwraith; Butterworths Australia 2013
- Ethics and Law for the Health Professions 3rd edition, Ian Kerridge et al; Federation Press 2009
- Law and Medical Practice 2nd edition, Loane Skene; Butterworths Australia 2004
- Australian Medical Law 3rd edition, John Devereux; Routledge-Cavendish 2007
- Expert Witness course pre-reading materials
The College Examination is only offered to current Associate members who have completed all other requirements in working towards Member/Fellowship. You cannot sit the exam if you are not yet an Associate member.